Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kimono Style II



I changed the blog up a little! How do you like it?

Sad news! The fabric store two blocks from my house is closing after 50 years of business...
The shop owner, Norma, is in her 90's and is ready to say goodbye. It's definitely the end of an era. While I was in last week, the women working gave me some cardboard to store my fabric on, I love the way it looks! I'm feeling much more organized, so I decided to whip out a dress!

Like my other projects, I'm using a novelty printed cotton. This one in particular is from the Miss Liss Kimono Style II collection. It was on super sale at Hancock, so I bought all that they had left.

The pattern I chose for this project was Simplicity's 3823. I thought I would be on the simple side, I, of course, was slightly mistaken. I chose to make view E because I liked the length of the skirt, just below the knee is flattering for my body type. I also liked the button option for the halter, it's more comfortable on my neck.


When I had first finished this dress, I wasn't so sure I liked the print anymore. Now, looking at these photos, I do like it. If the light pink background were any lighter, this wouldn't have been a good shade to be wearing right out of winter!



When I began this pattern, I didn't realize it called for boning. I'm glad I didn't because it forced me to learn a new skill! Luckily, I had some on hand. I LOVE it, the back and left side seam lays nicely against my body.


I couldn't decide which back view was best, so you get two!

I made this dress in a 14, and while the bust fits well, the waist could stand to be taken in a little. I plan on doing that behind the zipper. It will also give me the chance to redo the lapped zipper.  All in all, I do think this style suits me well.



This is what happens when I sew till midnight, my bodice front doesn't match up with the bodice back..
I chose not to line the skirt of this dress, so when I take it in tomorrow I'm going to run some bias tape around the waist so it's nice and clean on the inside.


I'm very proud of this hem, I rolled it as I sewed and it turned out very well, no bubbles! I also chose to pink my seam allowance instead of using a zigzag stitch to finish. I'm not too picky about that right now. 
Always with the coffee...

Overall, I will definitely be making this dress again. Let's call this one my "wearable muslin" of sorts. I will probably make the bodice in a 12, and the skirt in a 14 (I like mine on the fuller side). I want to try this is a cotton lawn...maybe I can splurge on a nice one soon!


New Skills Acquired: 
*Boned bodice back/sewing boning channels
*Pleated halter bodice

Thanks for reading, and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment